Is the Bible True?
It’s a common question that carries tremendous implications. If the Bible is true, then…
- God exists—He is all-knowing, all-powerful and ever-present.
- Earth wasn’t the result of a random accident, but it and the rest of the universe were spoken into existence.
- People are not the product of evolution, but designed by God in the image of Himself.
- Heaven is real, but so is hell.
With that list, proving the Bible is real is a bit more sobering.
Voddie Baucham was raised in south central Los Angeles, California, by a single parent. He accepted Jesus into his heart during his freshman year in college afterward, one of his Oxford University professors asked him to state why he believed the Bible was true. Here was his response:
“The Bible is a reliable collection of historical documents, written by eyewitnesses during the lifetime of other eyewitnesses. They reported supernatural events that took place in fulfillment of specific prophecies validating their claim the Bible is divine rather than human in origin.”
So what proof is available to support Voddie’s claim?
- Thousands of early manuscripts exist with some written within 30-60 years of the originals. There are too many independent copies to deny the existence of the original texts.
- After His resurrection, Jesus appeared before 500 eyewitnesses (1 Corinthians 15:5-8) and other Biblical events were recorded outside of the Bible in the writings of Greek and Roman historians.
- Author and pastor Greg Laurie said, “Two-thirds of the Bible is prophecy and half of them have come to pass.” Many of these detail very specific supernatural events.
Years later, Voddie added a final supporting statement to his explanation, “I am a living testimony of the power of this book.” He was describing the miraculous impact the Bible has on his life. Ultimately, this is the most significant evidence.
It proves the Bible is true, but also that it’s not just another human book. The Bible is the Word of God and His Spirit supernaturally guided the people who wrote it. The Apostle Peter wrote, “For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit” (2 Peter 1:21).
We can trust events in the Bible really happened and what God said is true. You should read the Bible with an open mind and ask God to talk to you through its pages. Discover Who Jesus is, the sacrifice He made for you, and the difference He can make in your life.
Are you ready to see what the Bible says about His love for you?
Step 1 – God loves you and has a plan for you!
Step 2 – People are sinful and separated from God.
Step 3 – God sent His Son to die for your sins!
Step 4 – Would you like to receive God’s forgiveness?
"Dear God, I know I’m a sinner, and I ask for your forgiveness. I believe Jesus Christ is Your Son. I believe that He died for my sin and that you raised Him to life. I want to trust Him as my Savior and follow Him as Lord, from this day forward. Guide my life and help me to do your will. I pray this in the name of Jesus. Amen."
Did you pray this prayer?