My Heart Is Heavy
Heartbreak triggers immediate thoughts of loss—maybe the death of a loved one or a relationship. But soul-crushing grief isn’t necessarily limited to the absence of someone dear.
It could also look like a rejection letter from your dream school or a wayward child who won’t return your calls.
The anguish can be heavy. Where is God?
Beloved, He is right here. And He wants you to remember the following truths:
1. You are not alone. Despite the agony you feel now, your Heavenly Father has not abandoned you. He sees you hurting and aches alongside you. The Bible states that “the Lord your God goes with you. He will never leave you nor forsake you” (Deuteronomy 31:6). He knows the number of tears you’ve cried, and His heart breaks, too, because He loves you. In the Bible, we are reminded that “He is near to the brokenhearted; He saves the crushed in spirit” (Psalm 34:18). Talk openly to God as you would a friend; He’s listening and eager to hear from you.
2. You matter. A broken relationship does not define those who find their identity in Jesus Christ. The Bible is clear: “For my father and my mother have forsaken me, but the Lord will take me in” (Psalm 27:10). And when you choose to let God take you in, you become His child. You are adopted into the family of the Most High. You are “qualified to share in the inheritance of the saints in light” (Colossians 1:12).
3. You will overcome. “In all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us” (Romans 8:37), the Bible says. God, in His holiness, gave you the desire to love and be loved. He cannot fail you. He will dry your eyes, lift up your head and empower you to move on.
4. You don’t have a deadline. Your victory is certain through Jesus, but there isn’t a one-size-fits-all resolution for the duration of your heartbreak. Healing takes time. Evangelist Billy Graham has likened it to recovering from major surgery. Just as your skin, ligaments and muscles need time, so does your emotional framework.
5. You will love again. Beyond overcoming, God can restore your heart if you let Him fill you with His perfect and faithful love. God has created a longing in each of us that can only be filled by Him, and when it is, we can experience restoration. God promises He “will give you a new heart and a new spirit” (Ezekiel 36:26). That means you can love again. You can be whole again if you choose to experience God’s unfailing love.
Learn now to love again the right way, beginning with a relationship with Christ.
Step 1 – God loves you and has a plan for you!
Step 2 – People are sinful and separated from God.
Step 3 – God sent His Son to die for your sins!
Step 4 – Would you like to receive God’s forgiveness?
"Dear God, I know I’m a sinner, and I ask for your forgiveness. I believe Jesus Christ is Your Son. I believe that He died for my sin and that you raised Him to life. I want to trust Him as my Savior and follow Him as Lord, from this day forward. Guide my life and help me to do your will. I pray this in the name of Jesus. Amen."
Did you pray this prayer?