Why Do I Hate Thanksgiving?
Thanksgiving is here again. Time for family, football and pumpkin pie. But what happens when the very thought of the holiday gives you a headache? Do you find yourself asking the same questions as last year?
- Why is there so much family drama?
- Will anyone help me get everything ready?
- How much will it cost this year to travel?
- Do I have anything to be thankful for?
It doesn’t have to be like this again. Here are a few tips to make Thanksgiving different this year.
- Seeing family can be a good thing. It shows you care. Bless others by being a good listener and encourager. Reconnect with ones you don’t see regularly.
- Thanksgiving prep is no small task. Make a list of what you need to do and when. If you can bake or freeze anything ahead of time, do it. Ask family and friends to help you, and if that’s a no go, opt for a smaller meal.
- Traveling can be stressful. Set aside time to be alone and stick to it. Enjoy these moments of calm and ask God to keep you from getting upset if things don’t go as planned.
- Problems are real, and you don’t have to pretend they aren’t. But don’t let problems block out everything else in your life. What can you be thankful for? Your health? Your family? Your home? How about small things you might take for granted? Make a list.
Here’s one more challenge for you: this holiday, discover an even greater reason to be thankful. That reason is the freedom found in Jesus Christ. With Christ, we have hope and guidance, not just on Thanksgiving, but every day.
Let this be the greatest Thanksgiving ever by asking Christ into your life today.
Step 1 – God loves you and has a plan for you!
Step 2 – People are sinful and separated from God.
Step 3 – God sent His Son to die for your sins!
Step 4 – Would you like to receive God’s forgiveness?
"Dear God, I know I’m a sinner, and I ask for your forgiveness. I believe Jesus Christ is Your Son. I believe that He died for my sin and that you raised Him to life. I want to trust Him as my Savior and follow Him as Lord, from this day forward. Guide my life and help me to do your will. I pray this in the name of Jesus. Amen."
Did you pray this prayer?